Psi is an interactional affair, a field event, and anything germane to the human predicament may be a key variable.
Let me move now by metaphor since I can't in terms of objectifying the missing links in the Psi process. While awake our ectodermal casing makes us appear very much like separate individuals hitting up against each other much as if we were enclosed in a rigid box. By analogy, sleep envelops us in a more liquid medium. It's a strange liquid, however, inasmuch as our own immediate individual surround is made up of many different liquids of differing viscosities. Under certain circumstances we can postulate that fluid masses from different individual ambiences, and having the same specific gravity, may interpenetrate (something analogous to a resonance notion in quantum physics):
We can thus identify three states: 1) The solid or awake state where separateness prevails in the interest of outwardness; 2) The sleep and dream state where a fluid medium allows freer play to the various properties and dimensions of the personality field. Individuality is maintained, although in a looser, more shifting way. 3) The Psi state where outwardness is once again achieved but this time based on the loosely flowing fluid arrangement that prevails during sleep. The intrapersonal processing of "emergency" data that occurs during dreaming now extends in range to include extrapersonal events.
We have to postulate still another strange quality to these fluid masses and that is that they exhibit differing degrees of resistiveness to gravity where in our analogy gravity might represent the control time has over events; a fluid mass having a tendency to fall faster would signify a retrocognitive bias. That least responsive to gravity would have a precognitive bias and that in the normal gravity range a telepathic or clairvoyance predilection. Our experiments tend to suggest that this miscible liquid mass coming from differing personality fields tends to interpenetrate on both a random as well as a motivationally determined basis. Perhaps in the ordinary course of events the more random congruences are washed out with most dreams or simply not attended to and only the highly salient and easily recognized correspondences come through.
What are the characteristics of this miscible imagery and what are some of the heuristic implications? They may be listed as follows:
1. Apparent randomness:
2. They function as a kind of template for extrapersonal events.
3. When sufficient in degree there is registration at an affective or perceptual level.
4. Under ordinary circumstances most of it is washed away with the rest of the night's dream material.
5. Parapsychological experiments suggest that directionality of flow can be established beforehand.
6. The associated physiological state is that of high arousal in the presence of dissociation.
7. Motivational factors push the miscible image into transpersonal contact.
8. Mutual areas of miscibility may develop over time.
9. The three personal and three transpersonal time tracks (precognitive, simultaneous, retrocognitive) stand in inverse relation to each other in terms of the incidence in which personal and transpersonal imagery occurs in dreams.
10. When imagery is personal, the order of frequency is past, present, future; when imagery is transpersonal, the imagery is future, present, past.
Some examples of heuristic possibilities derived from the above are as follows: From 6 one would focus more closely on the hypnopompic and hypnogenic states. From 8 one would work more closely with motivational factors as in the Van de Castle study. From 9 one might engage in longitudinal REM studies of husbands and wives and from 10 and 11 one might pursue systematic precognitive studies using the REM technique.